Monday 14 April 2014

Cycling Stories: Steven, Glasgow Bike Station

photo: Justin Parkes

Ahead of the opening of cycling exhibition 'The Perfect Machine' at Summerlee Museum in July 2014 we are profiling cyclists from around Lanarkshire and Glasgow. Steven works at the Bike Station in Glasgow (www.thebikestation.org.uk/glasgow).

“I started at the Bike Station 6 months ago and I had no interest in cycling whatsoever before I came but then the longer I've worked here the more it's sort of grew, the interest and now you could say I have a real passion for it.

“I brought my bike which I recently just got and I built that myself, along with the help of some in here. It's a road bike, an ideal road bike and I love it. I don't ride to work yet, I'm not too confident in the road yet but I ride it every day up to my girlfriend's because it saves time on buses. I used to get the bus but it's a bit of a pain.

“It took quite a while to find a bike that I liked and then one finally came in and it was in a bad condition so I just done it up, put a few new parts on it, tightened everything and degreased it and now everything works fine.”

If you would like to be featured in 'Cycling Stories' please contact Justin Parkes, Industrial History Curator on 01236 856376ParkesJ@culturenl.co.uk

'The Perfect Machine', Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life, Coatbridge
5 July to 14 September 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment