Wednesday 25 June 2014

Cycling Stories: Donald, Summerlee

photo: David Peace

Ahead of the opening of cycling exhibition 'The Perfect Machine' at Summerlee Museum in July 2014 we are profiling cyclists from around Lanarkshire and Glasgow. Donald is not only a keen cyclist but also a tram driver at Summerlee. Many thanks to David Peace, CultureNL Photography Development Officer for taking this photo.

“I have been cycling on and off since the age of five. My first bike was a wee blue one with white stabiliser wheels, balloon tyres and chrome mudguards. I remember the feeling of going a bike myself for the first time without stabilisers or anyone holding on.

“I cycle to work when the weather is good and also cycle for leisure. Cycling helps keep me fit and gets me outdoors; I enjoy the sense of freedom. I quite enjoy the route in the morning which takes me along the old Caledonian Railway and then on to the towpath of the Monkland Canal – beats driving in!

“I have two bikes but my favourite is my Raleigh Royal which is now nearly 30 years old. It is a tourer, built light but strong. The steel frame has a bit of ‘give’ which makes it more comfortable.”

If you would like to be featured in 'Cycling Stories' please contact Justin Parkes, Industrial History Curator on 01236 856376ParkesJ@culturenl.co.uk

'The Perfect Machine', Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life, Coatbridge
5 July to 14 September 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment