Saturday 10 May 2014

Cycling Stories: Katherine, Glasgow Women's Library

photo: Kyle Ferguson

Ahead of the opening of cycling exhibition 'The Perfect Machine' at Summerlee Museum in July 2014 we are profiling cyclists from around Lanarkshire and Glasgow.

Katherine volunteers with the Glasgow Women's Library (http://womenslibrary.org.uk) in Bridgeton. Many thanks to Kyle Ferguson of the Thursday night Photomedia Studio photography class at Summerlee for taking this photograph.

"I’ve had this bike for three years and it’s really like my faithful friend because I use it both for day to day purposes, I don’t drive, I don’t have a car so I use it to get to uni I use it to get just anywhere I need to go in the city but I also use it to go on holiday quite often go touring. My mother’s really into cycling as well so we’re kind of working our way round the islands so we’ve been to Isla, Jura and Mull and obviously all of the sort of like Rothsay, Bute and stuff like that so we’re kind of edging upwards and we’ve always had amazing luck with the weather, like imagine on a bike in the summer it’s just paradise. I took it to Shetland as well, one of my pals got married in Shetland and me and another girl went round and stayed in all these different sort of bothies and stuff and it’s just the best way of seeing a country, you know it’s just great like, I just love it.

"It’s like freedom you know and that’s what I like about bikes, it’s just pure freedom. You’re not constrained by bus timetables or traffic jams or anybody else’s schedule you can just go wherever you want at the speed you want. If you see something amazing you can stop and hang about or if you want to get there you have the joy of just going really fast as well. I just love it, I’m a real cycling fan."

If you would like to be featured in 'Cycling Stories' please contact Justin Parkes, Industrial History Curator on 01236 856376ParkesJ@culturenl.co.uk

'The Perfect Machine', Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life, Coatbridge

5 July to 14 September 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment