Tuesday 27 May 2014

Cycling Stories: Rosemary, Cumbernauld

photo: Justin Parkes

Ahead of the opening of cycling exhibition 'The Perfect Machine' at Summerlee Museum in July 2014 we are profiling cyclists from around Lanarkshire and Glasgow. Rosemary was a customer I met at IAmBikes, a cycling charity in Cumbernauld. Many thanks to Morag Prach for introducing us.

“I wouldn’t say that I am a keen cyclist now that I have had a family, more for them now. We’ve started taking the children out and about on bikes and taking a trailer for the wee one and cycling as a family more than anything.

“I enjoy it, it’s nice to get them out in the fresh air and get exercise as well and see some of Scotland, not too far afield because they are only young. We go along the canals and sometimes to parks and so on, not too far for them yet.

 “I don’t cycle to work. I would like to in the future when the girls are a bit older. I live in Cumbernauld and work in Kilsyth so it’s not too far to go. I’m a bit nervous going on the roads so I would like to take my time with that because there are cycle paths in some areas but not in others.

“We got my bike from IAmBikes and two of my daughters’ bikes as well. I think it’s absolutely great, I really do. I think it’s a wonderful thing and I keep telling everybody about it. More as well to save money when a lot of my friends have more than one child. They are all growing and they are not in one bike for very long.”

If you would like to be featured in 'Cycling Stories' please contact Justin Parkes, Industrial History Curator on 01236 856376ParkesJ@culturenl.co.uk

'The Perfect Machine', Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life, Coatbridge
5 July to 14 September 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment