Wednesday 21 May 2014

Cycling Stories: Shamus, IAmBikes

photo: Justin Parkes

Ahead of the opening of cycling exhibition 'The Perfect Machine' at Summerlee Museum in July 2014 we are profiling cyclists from around Lanarkshire and Glasgow. Shamus is co-founder of IAmBikes, a cycling charity in Cumbernauld.

"I have been cycling on and off for 25 plus years now. Years ago I used to do a bit more road cycling but now is much more focused around cycling with the children. I don’t go on the roads because the roads are quite a hazard but there are certainly good routes you can find and figure out yourself to get from A to B.

"I like the freedom of cycling. I got my first bike when I was nine or ten when I lived in Ireland it was a red 5 speed Raleigh road bike, this was back in about 1978. We were about three to five miles away from the nearest school so of course the only mode of transport was a bicycle which I used every day, day in day out in all weathers to get to school and back."

If you would like to be featured in 'Cycling Stories' please contact Justin Parkes, Industrial History Curator on 01236 856376ParkesJ@culturenl.co.uk

'The Perfect Machine', Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life, Coatbridge
5 July to 14 September 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment